Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Po' Boy, Oh Boy!

I think I've mentioned this before, but my dad grew up in New Orleans. One of my strongest memories of my grandparents is going to the gas station (seriously), getting po' boy sandwiches and spending the day at the beach. There is a wonderful thing happening in Chicago right now. It seems like vegan po' boys are taking over. This couldn't make me happier. Here are my thoughts on the ones I've had recently:

Portabella Mushroom Po' Boy @ Ground Control:

Like everything else at this newly opened spot, the po boy is out of this world. It has a great vegan sauce and the mushrooms are fried to perfection. It comes with your choice of sides. I've had collard greens both times I've ordered this.

GRADE: Solid A

Eggplant Po' Boy @ Scofflaw

I don't know what to say. Maybe it was the two gin cocktails I had before eating this, but it was seriously one of the best things I've ever had. It had the advantage of house made vegan remoulade and pickled onions. OK, maybe it was the pickled onions and the gin that made me fall in love. It didn't come with a side, but I shared some brussel sprouts with my sister that were also to die for.

GRADE: A+



Tofu Po' Boy @ Chicago Diner

I think this was a special and am not sure if it's still available. It was good, but it came on a hamburger bun and the tofu tasted like veggie chicken nuggets. It came with your choice of sides. I think I had soup. It was good, but I think I'll stick to the Dagwood at The Chicago Diner.

GRADE: B

Have you seen a veggie po' boy on the menu anywhere? If so, let me know. It's my mission to eat all the po' boys in the world.

- Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment