Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Peer Pressure

About a week ago, a friend of mine posted a picture of a giant stuffed baked potato from Jason's Deli on Facebook. It was the largest potato I had ever seen. Seriously, Google "Jason's Deli Baked Potato". There are all sorts of images of the potatoes with dollar bills, iPhones and other items so you can tell how big it is.

Ever since then, several more friends have enjoyed potatoes from Jason's Deli and posted the pictures on Facebook. According to the Jason's Deli website, their potato is it topped with "Natural buttery blend, cheddar, sour cream, bacon, green onions". It has 2320 calories and 150 grams of fat (WHOA!).

I've had this potato on my mind for a week now. I'm vegan and "natural buttery blend" scares me. So, I decided to make my own (healthier) version for dinner last night. I used a diet app (Lose It!) and information on the Daiya Foods website to determine the nutritional information for my potato: 463 calories and 21g of fat (darn avocado).


Here's how I made mine:

1 medium russet potato
1/2 red onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped mushrooms (I had chanterelles from the farmers' market, but any will do)
about 1TBSP chopped jalapeno (optional)
about 1TBSP roasted red peppers
1 TBSP olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each)
1 TBSP Earth Balance buttery spread (optional)
1/4 cup Daiya cheese (I had mozzarella shreds, but any will do)
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 TBSP hot sauce (optional)
  • preheat oven to 450
  • wash and wrap potato in aluminum foil
  • bake potato for about an hour (or until easily cut with a butter knife)
  • While potato is cooking, put oil in a skillet and heat. 
  • Add onions and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes)
  • Add jalapenos, salt and peper and cook for another minute or so
  • Add mushrooms and cook until they are done (about 8 minutes)
  • Mix in red pepper and set aside until potato is done.
  • When potato is done, remove from oven and cut in half. For a true "Jason's" taste add 1 TBSP Earth Balance (I skipped this). 
  • Top with Daiya, vegetable mixture, sliced avocado and sriracha or other hot sauce, if desired. I used Cherry Bomb Sauce from River Valley Kitchens. I absolutely love its great roasted tomato flavor.
Tell me in the comments what "junk food" you like to make at home?

- Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment